Sunday, May 9, 2010

ALA's Top Banned Books Summer Read

Earlier this year, I stumbled upon the American Library Association's list of the 100 most banned and challenged books of 2000-2009. I quickly decided to make this my summer reading list, as I usually take the opportunity in warmer weather to sit outside and read my little heart out. Earlier today I realized that I should invite others into the fun when a facebook status about one of the books on the list prompted a discussion. I realized that although reading these books would be fun, reading them with others and being able to talk about them would be much more entertaining. I quickly jumped onto the ball and created a facebook event and group asking people to read these books with me and setting up discussions for them.
The plan is to go down the list of books and have a discussion about each one. After the discussion I'll post a new blog about the ideas and opinions we've shared. This will bring a kind of conclusion to each book. Hopefully we'll be able to get a lot of people to join in, to get opinions from different age groups, genders, and backgrounds and all of us learn more about censorship.

Links:
The book list
http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedbydecade/2000_2009/index.cfm

Event
http://www.facebook.com/DiDiDia?v=wall&story_fbid=125581684121975#!/event.php?eid=120610661300600#wall_posts

Group
http://www.facebook.com/DiDiDia?v=wall&story_fbid=125581684121975#!/group.php?gid=119333881423181&ref=ts

Please feel free to join the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment